Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ernest Hemingway Wishes He Wrote Songs Like This

Who needs a Kindle 2 when you can just listen to The Narrative?

Before the airwaves were conquered by breathy moaning, groaning, and "oh-oh-ohs"; or littered with countless songs bragging about money, bling, and junks in trunks, there was a time when songs told stories through music.

Just take a few minutes out of your day and give "The Moment That It Stops" a spin. Really listen to it, take it in, groove to it if you feel it in you. It's a fresh song, with a catchy drumbeat you could sway to, that tells a story of a relationship in the middle of a breakdown. The song sounds like a confessional; it's almost like we're eavesdropping in on this couple.

The male-female harmonies of lead vocalists Suzie and Jessie really elevate the song, even setting it apart from all of those other indie bands experimenting with male-female harmonies. There's an exchange after the second chorus where Suzie and Jessie take turns singing some of the most honest lyrics put to music in a while:
"[Jessie] I think a change is what I need
[Suzie] I thought you needed someone you knew you could trust entirely
[J] I've always been fine on my own
[S] I thought that you were growing tired of always feeling alone"
Ouuuccchhh. If you listen really closely during this part, you can hear hearts breaking in the background. Not really, but it's hard not to feel the hope leaving Suzie's voice after each line she sings, as her pleas are shot down one after the other, and punctuated by the unaffected tone to which Jessie responds to her. He even pulls an "It's not you, it's me" kind of line. I think that qualifies him to be a "douche." Grey's Anatomy wishes they had scenes this deep.

These guys know how to write really well. The lyrics to their songs are absolute poetry. It's just as wonderful to read The Narrative's lyrics as it is to listen to their music. If one thing is for certain about this band, it's that they won't be writing the next "Popozao." And like a good story, there's a tension that rises throughout the song and is wonderfully capped off with one perfect line that serves as the emotional climax, quickly followed by a resolution...of sorts. Think along the lines of Brandy and Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" (you know you love it).

Suzie, Jessie, Charlie, and Brandon can craft songs like it's nobody's business. Their Just Say Yes EP is their first release, and it's an impressive debut. It's filled with six songs that show a lot of promise. Think Death Cab for Cutie in its early days. With this debut, The Narrative proves that they can certainly gain a following the way that DCFC has. They're a local band (as their MySpace profile says, "We live on Long Island, we live in Manhattan, we live in Brooklyn"), and I believe that they have a lot more to offer us. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them for years to come, and I'll be keeping track of them on here. According to their MySpace profile, they're still unsigned. Somebody get on that, please?

Listen to The Narrative's entire Just Say Yes EP on Facebook, MySpace, or purevolume.

8 comments:

  1. Your title post is really creative, it definitely makes me want to read on. The wit and cultural references are a big plus as well. It seems as though you really know your music, I'm going to check out this band! I love DCFC so thanks for comparing and contrasting The Narrative to other groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very funny. i've never heard of this band before but now i will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of the song either but I'll check it out. I like Brand New, Thrice, Dashboard, etc. I'll def. take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats unconventional and cool; you're an entertaining writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of this group but the Brandy/Monica reference has me wanting to check them out. The music scene definitely needs some fresh blookd to add to it. I can barely tolerate the radio these days

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how your analyzing songs, it really deep. I'm actually interested in poetry. Songs are a great form of artistic poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimson! I just wanted to let you know that I've been on Purevolume non-stop and The Narrative is AMAZING. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy to hear you like them too, Camille! They only get better with time. Even after a few months, their songs still sound as good and fresh as the first time I listened to them. Can't wait for more of their stuff.

    ReplyDelete